this post was originally written in Sept 2012….
I want to say that I am a very strong christian and I know some people get offended so if you don’t want to read about God you don’t have to read any further I still love you and wish to offer motivation to you also… it is kinda long
so I have had a lot of friend requests the last few weeks and someone always asks me where I find my motivation or what do I do when I am down… well I am kinda down right now… I have an injury that has me on the couch for a while (I go to the ortho doc tomorrow to find out what is wrong with my foot!) [BROKEN!]
so… when I feel depressed… I remember one of my favorite bible verses or a song… so I will break down the verse first…
Psalm 118:24 (I like to read several translations… these are my favorite english translations… today anyway)
Young’s Literal Translation
This is the day Jehovah hath made, We rejoice and are glad in it.
New American Standard Bible
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
King James Bible
This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
so… today is the day that God made… that is simple enough… every day is a gift…
“we rejoice” and “let us rejoice” are active tenses… that means that you have to actively rejoice… rejoicing is not a passive thing… it doesn’t just HAPPEN… we have to CHOOSE to rejoice… sometimes that can be difficult… so what *I* do is to look for positive things to rejoice about…
since I am currently laid up and frustrated I am going to use today’s situation as an example… my foot is injured possibly broken and I am stuck at home – enough of a pisser so what could be positive there??
1) I have a home…
2) it has a roof with no holes in it…
3) I have a great landlord who actually cares about me as a person not just as a rent check…
4) my rent is paid because I have a good job
5) I have electricity!!
6) I have a computer and internet access (however tenuous the access)
7) netflix (need I say more?)
8) my kids are big enough that they can help and clean up after themselves
9) my kids have cooked dinner every night this week (ok so we ate macaroni and cheese every night but what can I expect they are young!)
10) I have a good job with sick time so I am not going to be short from being sick!
11) I have an understanding boss who isn’t firing me for being injured)
12) heating pad (I could just about stop there but I am feeling awesome right now so I want to continue)
13) my foot may be broken but I live in a country where I have access to health care and doctors and I WILL recover
14) I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE!!! (wowow…. this is big for me)
15) I can breathe (normally when I am out of commission it’s because of my lungs)
16) my hands/arms work just fine
17) I am loved and have friends who bring me food 🙂
18) I have an ice machine so I don’t have to worry about trying to balance on one foot and get trays to the freezer
19) a soft couch and nice cuddly blanket
20) mfp pals 🙂 who pray for me and support me and give me the chance to support them
I could go on and on… but I am no longer crying and feeling all depressed and upset… rejoice first… be glad second… being happy is a choice we make… all of these things are things that many people take for granted… I have been without all of them at one point or another…
we have to find opportunities to rejoice… we have to sometimes search very hard… I have been doing this for a LONG time… it doesn’t take me long to dig out one or two random tiny things about a situation that I can think positively about and then one positive thought leads me to another positive thought then another and soon I feel MUCH better…
the other thing that motivates me is a song by casting crowns called the voice of truth…
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I’m in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He’s holding out his hand
But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I’ve tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. ‘Boy, you’ll never win!’
“You’ll never win”
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says “Do not be afraid!”
And the voice of truth says “This is for My glory”
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth
again this comes down to an active choice and not a passive action… I have to ACTIVELY choose to listen to the voice of truth… the voice that said “do not be afraid” or “you can do all things” ….
He made all things glorious and He made me…