Maryland: part the second

AKA: In which Jenn finishes the state of Maryland 🙂

Also AKA: In which Jenn bombards you with a gazillion pictures because her phone was replaced



Made some adjustments. .. based on what I learned from the last hike. … also using a different pack… not counting my hydration bladder or a couple small snacks I want to get I’m down to 27#… granted I pack heavy  and you pack differently (sorta) for a four day hike than a six month hike. … and I’ll have a MUCH better/lighter backpack for that hike. … but I think I’m getting better at the packing


only thing not pictured is the gatorade I got enough powder to mix in my hydration bladder each day… then Carcassone… and some chocolate covered espresso beans and almonds… and extra socks… although I suppose I could have labeled one of those bags “extra socks” and you would never know the difference… but I didn’t add them til after the pic 




It feels so light compared to last time it’s almost CRAZY!



holy crap… look at my neck the way it has definition and crap…  and I still can’t get used to how terribly tiny my ankles look… not sturdy at all


I got the fanny pack to make things like snacks and my phone and map easier to get to…  :) that way I snack more often and I can do better on ze hike


 we got a fanny pack to use as a training pack for her… I am not sure what style I wanna go with yet for her eventual “big girl pack” and she can’t have real weight until she is at least a year… so I wanted something light



This is the boy and his pack. It ended up being way too super heavy for him and he got rid of a lot of his stuff. 

My friend that we hike with got out of work and to my house later than we intended. And then we went out to dinner and it was horrible. We went to the Butcher Block Buffet. The only things that they had to eat were fried or breaded or floating in gravy. The manager was nice enough to give me some ham and brisket from the dinner menu that  they heated up. So at least I wasn’t hungry. 

The end result is that we didn’t GET to the parking lot until 330 pm… so after packing and what not we weren’t ready to leave until almost 4. We decided to cut day one super short because I average about a mile an hour and I didn’t want to be walking until 11 pm. 

First day was only 2 miles 🙂 

Fitbit says 21 flights of stairs… 


The shelter was amazing 🙂



The book was full so I wrote in the back cover. 



Carcassone before bed


The view from the other side of the table



Ezra got loads of loving from everyone 



Ezra wanted more loving and was mad that we kept chaining her and not letting her visit all the hikers 😦



Getting ready to hike the next day. Here is breakfast on the trail. Everyone should eat this well 😉 (and Ezra got the juice I drained from my tuna and salmon, making EVERYONE happy!)

I ended up eating that whole jar of peanut butter in the few days we were on the trail. 


Super tired Jenn is Super Tired – Ezra was not tired for walking only 2 miles and was super wild ALL night long. My fault for not walking far enough the first night. 

My ankle is still feeling like crap from the sprain last week so I super taped it before the hike. 


Not looking forward to the planned elevation changes. Not in the least. Unimpressed Ezra is unimpressed. 





There was a LOT of up

So much up 

Stopped with Chris for a snack. 



And the obligatory feet hanging off of stuff photo 🙂 It’s such an amazing feeling being so far up and so unafraid. 

Look at this view. It was so super. You could see for a bazillion miles. I think that when God made those mountains he must have had LOADS of fun. Just pinching up the ground like a puppy pinches the blanket. And then I think that if I were the only person here on earth God still would have made it look this amazing because he loves me and wants me to be happy!

At Gathland state park. GATH was a war correspondent in the civil war and he was apparently rich and designed this giant arch to celebrate correspondents 

It was so creepy to look up and see the horse heads and the Goddess statue staring down at us. And this thing was giant. I tried to get someone to take a pic of me (for size comparison) but no one was interested.


This plaque in front of it was as tall as my chest. 


Someone painted this rock near Gathland. 


Hanging out at the Ed Garvey shelter. This was 9.1 miles from Rocky Run. We were all insanely tired at this point. The plan was to play a game and then head out. Since we cut it short the first day we had to hike more every day. 


She was terrified to go on the second floor of the shelter. 

I ate so much peanut butter. An entire jar in 4 days!


I was so super insanely tired that the thought of more miles was really really cranky. 

This is the railing from the other side. I have no idea how he still has energy. 

We ended up hiking two more miles. 

The guides agree that we hiked 11.2 miles. 

Hiking after dark was my one and only fall. It happened in slow motion. I was stepping up onto a log and the area after the log was very muddy. I couldn’t get traction with my back foot and it slid back down to the lower step. It felt like it was five minutes later that my front leg hit the ground. I almost only fell to my one knee. I was reaching down to the ground with one hand to help myself up and the weight in my pack shifted (I didn’t have it very snug on my shoulders at this point because I was hurting) and dragged me to the ground. I must have dropped my hiking stick at some point because I landed on it. I somehow trapped my arm between the stick (that I was laying on). So I am laying here on the ground with my stick stuck under my hip and at this point I have shifted to my back. On top of my pack. So I am laying here like a TURTLE, and Ezra is hooked to my belt. I am trying to catch my breath to tell my friend how to help me up and I only have one hand available to help and I have a dog in my face. I finally catch my breath and tell people that I need the stick pulled out of my butt because it’s trapping my arm. And I tell Chris to get Ezra.


After what feels like an hour, but that’s really only two or three minutes, I manage to get my pack off so I can stand up. All in all the whole experience was less than three minutes.



This is where we slept, near the Weaverton Cliffs trail. We were so tired by this point that and it was so super dark that we didn’t realize that we were sleeping almost directly on the path. 


I still don’t care.


We walked down to the cliffs after breakfasting. 

See that red speck down there? Let me make it a little bigger for you. 


It’s a house. We hiked from the top of the cliffs to street level. We walked past that house. From 1140 feet of elevation to 263 feet of elevation. It was kinda insane. 

This was the trail down to the cliffs. 

Can you believe this view?


ALL the climbing.  Can you believe this?


The start of the DOWN. Which also means it’s end of the UP when we are going back to where we decided to camp. The sign says “prevent erosion do not short cut”. I took this one because I had an idea for a blog post about living a white blazed life. I plan to get to that one tomorrow or so. 


We made it into Harper’s Ferry around noon and walked around a bit. Had some lunch (an awesome gyro salad) and got all our water refilled. 

The information kiosk had this beautiful painting all around the edge with a forest/river scene and lots of happy people 🙂



I had the best custard ever!!

The streets were stone, and the gutter on the side was stones. It was so beautiful. 

The sidewalk. It’s easy to forget you are in the 21st century. 


This picture here. It means that I walked the entire state of Maryland. 


The ENTIRE state!


This was the only mushroom like this that I saw the whole hike. It looked like a flower and was kinda hard. It was more peachy colored than the picture would indicate. 


ALL the sweat. It’s so hot and so tired and I was so cranky. This was about half way up the trail back to the Ed Garvey shelter. It was SO HIGH!


He never sweats, probably because he’s always freezing. You see me here covered in sweat with it dripping off my face and pooling in the small of my back? (well you obviously can’t see it pooling in the small of my back, but it was!) He’s wearing a long sleeve shirt. And half the time he hiked with a blanket on his shoulders to pad his backpack. 


He’s got no meat on them bones. 

We are headed the right way! Not that we were doubting it. There is this feeling on the trail. When you are just walking and walking and it feels like it’s been an hour but you check your timepiece and it’s only been 8 minutes and your mind starts to play tricks on you. Tries to tell you that you must be going the wrong way because there’s no way it’s going to take so long and you SHOULD be at the next thing on the map. You SHOULD be there!! So when you see signs that point the way it’s reassuring.

We slept at the Ed Garvey shelter on night three. By the guides we hiked  10.5 miles. 


I wrote this in the log at Ed Garvey shelter. I am going to let it speak for itself.


I am going to write more about being more than a conqueror and celebrating life and my internal dialogue tomorrow or so when I write about living a white blazed life. 


Going home. The plan is to hike the 11.1 miles back to the car. I am really stiff and sore by this point. I added more tape to my ankle and have been taking more tylenol and ibuprofen. 


We got back to Gathland park and I had some lunch. Finished my peanut butter. 


We had internet service. I posted this to facebook. 

I’m seven miles from my car and I don’t wanna walk anymore. … so hot/tired/cranky

12:15 pm

I don’t know if it helped or hurt my mood that I kept gps’ing my car.


Also on FB.  Over the course of the hours. 

  • Just gps’d my car. .. 5.8 miles

    So hot so humid so tired

    I’m excited that I’ve hiked ALL of Maryland 

    1:29 pm
  •   I feel like I’ll never get there. .. but I’m 4.8 miles now
    2:19 pm
  • Planning waffle house maybe on the way home
     I hate your state SO MANY ROCKS!
    2:19 pm
    • I feel like I sit a lot when I’m hiking. ..
    •  3.3 miles to go. … and I’m sitting again. .. need to eat because I’ve not eaten much but it’s SO DAMN HOT I’m having a hard time eating
      I felt so weak but I forced down some nuts and dried fruit. I understand that not eating is why I was so cranky and tired and everything.
      By the time I got to Rocky Run we were ALL super exhausted. 
      And super funny story. My friend left Ed Garvey a little while before we did and headed to the car. He planned to wait for us at the car. I had given him the keys so that he could go ahead and get his stuff all settled and packed and not have to sit on the ground to wait for us. Instead he tried to meet us. 
      He was apparently parked at the circle when I crossed that road. He couldn’t park close to the intersection and I missed him. Although it would have been bad for me to see him at that point because Chris was ahead of me and was waiting for me at the star. (that’s Rocky Run) 
      Rocky Run is 2 miles exactly from the car. A couple hundred feet from the car I heard my friend calling my name and finally ran into him. He had parked my car at the arrow. He cut a mile off my trip which was totally exciting for me!
      Went to Hibachi after. Had about 6 plates of food and 4 cups of water and a pot of tea. 
      Hungry Jenn was hungry. 
      Doing my flexing friday picture because I felt so intensely amazingly buff after carrying that pack for so long. Look at the definition in my back and shoulder. It feels so much more amazing than it looks
      I’m home
      I’ve been par boiled
      I’m in my bed
      I’ve got my heating pad
      It’s not as good as a hammock but it’ll do

      Something like 30 miles. .. hundreds of flights of stairs. ..

      Good night world

      And today is recovery day. I would prefer to make it a recovery week or month. SO TIRED!
      Pretty much the only injury. Which is interesting because it was injured BEFORE I went and wasn’t healed enough.  I don’t think I was ready for this hike and it was really stupid to not be more healed before I went. 
      I have ice in a bag under a towel on my ankle. … Ezra put her head on it and looks content. …

      Asked her if she wanted to go for a walk and she just sighed.

      Tired Ezra is TIRED. 
      There will be more to come tomorrow. I had a LOT of internal dialogue that I want to share and some wonderful insight and thoughts. 😀

2 thoughts on “Maryland: part the second

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s